Pages

Monday, May 5, 2008

Sweet Things

Britt and I were mega-blessed at all of our showers before our wedding. I think I have every cool kitchen gadget ever (minus the KitchenAid mixer, which I'm asking Santa for this year). Since there's not much to do around Guin (unless you want to sit with the teenagers in the Jacks parking lot or browse Freds or the hardware store) I've become pretty handy in the kitchen if I do say so myself. I have perfected the Oatmeal Chocolate Chip cookie (thanks to my awesome cookbook from Ashley), I'm pretty good at brownies, and have tried a ton of new dinner recipes. Along with all of my successes, however, come failures :(

On Britt's birthday (right after we got married) I tried to make a lemon pound cake from a friend's family recipe--gross. My cake was super-dry and stuck to the inside of my bundt pan. It was a disaster and Britt wanted Gingerbread men instead. Those were better :)

I tried a Grilled Tuna with Soy-Ginger Glaze--I don't know if the tuna was bad, or what...but it totally sucked. The coconut rice that went with it was decent though. I can make a yummy lasagna, wild mushroom risotto, a great orzo pasta salad, and some bomb asparagus with roasted garlic.

Britt's been pretty involved in the kitchen too. In fact, I think he is as addicted to Food Network as I am! We love Down Home with the Neely's and Giada's Weekend Getaways. Britt's been using our fry daddy..correction.. baby a lot...pork chops, potatoes, pickles (for me)!

Last weekend, I decided I'd try my hand at another cake. I decided to make a Chocolate Mound Cake--three layer yellow cake with marshmallow-coconut filling and homemade chocolate icing. All I can say is that the icing was yummy. Everything else...yuck. Again, my cake was way too dry. I had to pour milk on it just to taste the stupid thing. I guess the filling was too heavy too because it all but crumbled when Britt tried to cut it.
















No comments: